If you're reading this blog because you want to make healthier choices about what you eat, then I want you to know you're in good company!
On my travels I speak to so many people that want to do exactly the same, so in this blog I will be sharing with you my journey to making healthier choices about what to eat, so that you can make them too!
If you really want to eat healthy and stick to it, but have struggled in the past or even right now, I’m so glad you're here! Not because I want to revel in your misery, but because I want you to know that I personally understand what it's like to feel like that. I've given in to stuffing myself silly with crappy food, that unsurprisingly made me feel like crap, and regretted it afterwards - trust me!
You can get overcome this, and with the right knowledge and guidance you can eat healthier without feeling deprived, or going on diets that often don't work, or wasting your life counting calories!
Over the past 10 years or so I’ve gradually given up most processed foods, all dairy, all refined sugar, gluten and started on my healthy eating journey. I now very rarely eat meat or chicken, and still eat some fish and shellfish. I still can't believe how much better i feel and look, inside and out by eating more plant-based and whole foods! This decision also inspired me to set up Abundance Foods - read more about my story here.
If that sounds like a boring and tasteless life full of gruel and flavourless cardboard - i promise you it isn't, but you'll find out more about that as I share my healthy eating tips, recipes and advice with you.
A healthy food journey
I call this a healthy food journey because it's still one for me, and I'm not totally there yet by any stretch! If I had to put a label on my approach to food, I'd call it a "80/20 lifestyle."
What does that mean...?
Essentially, I eat nutritious foods 80% of the time, and less healthy foods the other 20%. By "less healthy" I mean things like eating out, meals I haven't prepared myself from scratch, or ingredients that I can't find the origin of.
I know enough about myself to know that there will be times when my healthy habits start to wane, I have slip ups and days when I just want to eat lard! A big step in personal development for me has been accepting that this is natural and just a part of life. When it happens I just remember that every day is a new day, a chance for a new beginning and just get back on my health wagon!
I meet so many people who want to do the very same thing, but don't know where to start. So I want to share with you the knowledge, tips and tricks I've gained along the way, so that you too can live a healthier lifestyle, and feel even better!
But don't get me wrong, this won't be a blog about starting to eat food and ingredients that suck the joy out of eating - absolutely not! If your food is healthy for you but tastes like twigs, how does that help you? There also won't be anything in there about dieting or counting calories either I’m afraid, as I prefer to focus on the nutritional benefits of eating proper food. Nor will I make you feel guilty about what you're currently eating. We're all at different stages on our journey, and we will get there faster without judgement or finger-pointing
Instead I'll be sharing how you too can make lifestyle changes, and start enjoying eating really healthy food in a tasty, wholesome way without compromising on flavour! Where I share recipes they will be healthy and quick too, using as few ingredients as possible. Because, let's face it, when you've just got in from work and you're hungry, the last thing you want is an hour-long wait for your meal!
In my next blog I'll be sharing tips on how to eat less of the bad 'sugar', along with some sugar-free recipes.
So come with me on this journey, and let's enjoy the healthy ride together!
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.
For your peace of mind, Abundance Foods is: